Friday, October 17, 2008

A Big Ask for Family and Friends


Family Legacy (the organization that puts on Camp Life in Zambia) started a program last year that gives everyone the opportunity to get personally involved in the development and welfare of the orphans we worked with in Zambia.  Part of my responsibility back home in the States is to get my kids sponsored.  I know this is a tough time to ask for a financial commitment, but please consider making a monthly investment of $36 per month to help feed, clothe and educate one of my 13 boys.  The schools in Zambia are less than ideal and surprisingly they are not free.  There is no tax base to support the schools so everyone must pay to receive an education. The money you give goes directly to that boy (or girl) and his family.  It's administered by the local Family Legacy office in Zambia that is staffed by the same camp counselors I worked with this summer.  Only 5 percent of the $36 goes to administrative costs.

Two of my 13 boys have been sponsored.  That means there's 11 ready for your assistance!  Once you set up automatic credit card payment, you'll receive a welcome packet and will be able to write letters to your kid(s) and receive letters back.  Most of the older kids can speak and write English. If not, they'll use the Family Legacy ambassador in their local community to help write the correspondence.

If you have more questions about the program, feel free to contact me at bevo14 at gmail dot com.  I can send you more photos of the specific child you're interested in sponsoring in addition to the notes we took about their family situation and any prayer requests they've mentioned. The photo above shows my boys from this year. I was fortunate enough to have eight of the same boys as the year before.  The names in green need sponsors; the boys in pink are already sponsored.  You can select anyone you want, but I'd like to ask someone consider Dickson.  He suffers from painful headaches and has extremely poor eyesight.  

If you'd rather sponsor girls, Dawn and Betty have more than 20 girls needing a sponsor.  I can put you in touch with them. Just let me know.

To view more details about my boys, please click on the Father's Heart website.  In the Ambassador search page, please type my name in the appropriate fields. You'll see my boys listed on the following pages.

I know many of you may be a bit leery of these sponsorship programs. In all honesty, I was a bit skeptical, too. However, this summer my mind was put at ease.  One day while in the local village, one of my boys named John pointed up the hill to a remote brick structure that looked like a deserted motel.  It was the orphanage where he lived.  John had lived on the streets for two years and one day decided to walk up to the orphanage and see if they would take him. He was 11 at the time.  I asked John how he was able to pay the school costs. He said, "I don't know who pays my tuition; I just know someone takes care of it."  That someone was Father's Heart.

If committing to $36/month seems out of reach right now, please consider tag-teaming with a family member or friend to help out the kids in Zambia. 

Thanks for taking time to learn about this program.

1 comment:

Jim and Sharon said...

No child in your group will ever forget the two summers you spent investing in their hope for the future...now those seeds of hope that have been planted must be attended....Thank you for the opportunity to serve a child of God whose life we would have never been able to touch....May God bless each and every one of these children with the desire and the means to rise above their plight.
Mom