Friday, February 15, 2008

Lost in Translation


I found out last night I'm going to Beijing, China, in two weeks for work. I'm representing our product group at a global strategy meeting in our Beijing office. The meeting is for only three days, but I guess they value face-to-face meetings rather than a call or webinar.


I spent three hours today trying to find out how to apply for a business visa. After calls to the US Embassy and Chinese Embassy, I finally figured out how to do it online. We outsource the process to third-party which makes it easier, but a little frightening nonetheless. I have to mail my passport to Houston for inspection/stamping.

It just so happened I went to the Austin Diagnostic Travel Clinic this morning for a flu shot (too late) and a follow-up hepatitis A/B shot from last year's Africa trip. I asked her what other shots I needed for China. I didn't want to get turned away at the airport for not having a simple rabies shot. Good news. No vaccinations are needed. I think I pretty much glow in the dark from last summer's poking and prodding. I just can't visit any pig farms or hatcheries. There go my evening plans.

4 comments:

The James Family said...

That is really neat that you get to go to China. You really are quite the world traveler. Glad you didn't have get any extra shots. Don't come back a Communist.... :)

Suz

Jim and Sharon said...

I can't believe you are getting to go to yet another exciting place for business. Good for you! Make sure you drink a "Purpsi" while you are there.
Love, Mom

maggie said...

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Asia/China/Warnings_or_Dangers-China-BR-2.html

I immediately went to the virtual tourist web site to see what they said about China. Some of this .. . not pretty. BUT i'm sure you will be staying in an upscale hotel with food you can identify. Sorry about the pigs and hatchery????? Why do they have to tell people that? Like anyone is actually going to China and visiting the animals!?!

Rainer, Jeanette's husband, went to China on business many times. If you want, I can question him on recommendations for you if you want.
Luv U,
mj

maggie said...

If you want! Just sayin' . . .