Saturday, July 18, 2009

Thailand Update


Where did the time go? It seems like just last week that Dawn and I were at Dominican Joe’s booking the REI Adventures vacation to Thailand. Now it’s less than two week away. I’ve cut and pasted our itinerary while there so anyone who’s interested can check out where we’ll be each day.

I’m planning to use Skype on the iPhone to contact family while there. If that doesn’t work out, I’ve heard lots of people say they’ll just buy a cheap mobile phone and add top-up credits for texting.

So here’s the plan: I fly to Los Angeles on Thursday morning. The Mark James Express has agreed to pick me up early that morning. (Thanks Mark!) Dawn and I rendezvous at LAX and fly to Tokyo later that day. There’s a four-hour layover in Tokyo before catching a flight to Bangkok. We’ll spend the night in Bangkok before boarding the Thai Railway for a 12-hour overnight ride to Chiang Mai. We’ll have about half a day for sightseeing in Bangkok before boarding the train. Once in Chiang Mai, we’ll meet our travel buddies for the next nine days. Our group leader/guide is named Mr. Pan. He’s a local Thailand native who’s been leading tours for 20-plus years. I can already tell I’m going to like this guy.

For the next nine days, the group of 10 will travel around the northern province with a mix of hiking, biking, boating and canoeing. Some of the schedule stops include an elephant sanctuary, a tea plantation, northern hill tribes and several Buddhist temples where we can interact with the monks.

After those nine days, Dawn and I will catch a flight from Chiang Mai to Phuket where we’ll take a ferry to Ko Phi Phi Island. This where the resort is located. We’ll remain for the rest of the trip. We’ll likely catch a ferry back to Phuket every now and then for excursions and “city life.”

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t sad about my absence from Africa this year. It’s the first time in more than 2 ½ years I haven’t been planning for Zambia. I feel guilty for ditching my boys I’ve grown so close to these past two summers. My parents sponsor Isaac, one of the young boys in my group. In a recent letter he asked if Uncle David would be visiting him again this year. It broke my heart. But I know I’ll be over there again. I’m hoping for sooner rather than later.

View Thailand itinerary here.

4 comments:

Jim and Sharon said...

So glad you updated. The trip sounds wonderful. Africa will be there when you get back.
Mom

Shauna Lynn said...

you should go to the phuket zoo like on the amazing race and take your picture with that tiger... and his trainer with the missing arm. You're truly a world traveler!

The James Family said...

Sounds like an amazing trip. Don't disappear like Leo D's character in The Beach and decide to live in some weird off-the-radar community in Thailand :) Also, don't let any strangers put things in your luggage on the way home like Claire Danes in Brokedown Palace. I don't want to visit you in a Thai prison.

Suz

Anonymous said...

Great blog entry! I can't wait for our trip. Maybe we can detour to Africa on our way home - what's another 24 hours of travel at this point?